Receive Email Updates

* indicates required

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Social Dilemna

So I'm thinking a lot recently about how to manage all of these, my, social outlets. For me it's Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and then of course this blog. And my quandary is largely around the blurring of lines between business and personal posting.

A while back I realized that all the parts of my big rich life inform all the other parts. So the fact that I'm a dad, a sensitive man, a meditator, and of course all of my other artistic pursuits informed my work and moreover who I am as a creative. So Ive been ok with the blurring of these lines. However it doesn't sit quite right with me. I still ponder whether I ought to separate them out somehow. A few of the areas where I'm not clear about it include:

  • Facebook. I have a Facebook page for my "business". Business FB pages don't allow you to be friends with individuals though, and so I have a bunch of friends (on my "personal" FB page) who are business related. 
  • Instagram/Flickr/Facebook. Before IG I used Flickr a lot. Now I hardly use it at all. Though they technically serve different purposes and aren't actually synonymous. Theoretically I'd use Flickr when I have a whole album of pictures to share from an event or particular time and Instagram for more social one-off kinds of things I shot with my phone. Now FB is a place people share photos much the way you used to only on Flickr or Picasa. And I use IG and FB similarly, though I don't post everything I post to IG to FB. And occasionally I'll photograph something for work, like a work in progress, and post it to the business FB page. So IG ends up being both. 
  • I use Google+ largely for work related things, though every time I open it on my phone it asks me if I want to post the most recent photos and sometimes I say yes so it ends up having images from my personal life as well as work in progress and other business related posts and reposts. Is that ok? 
  • I barely use Pinterest, though this is a little clearer to me what I'd use it for. 
  • Same with Twitter, though I use Twitter a fair amount. Not really with any images any more, and a definite blend of work and personal, though lately heavily weighted towards business related posts. 
So, what am I getting at? I guess I want to know what people think about this mix of business and personal. Is it ok to mix the two as much as I do, as I'm describing? How do you do it? I know I'm not the only one with this kind of questioning going on. Leave a comment. Give me your thoughts. 

1 comment:

Gail B. said...

I've been wondering a lot lately why we feel the need to compartmentalize our lives into little buckets.."wife" here, "work" here, "creative one" here. Doesn't all of who we are inform all of what we do? What would it be like to imagine one's life as a dance of all our "expressions of self", interweaving it all together. I'm not sure if this is relevant to your topic, Ben, but it seemed you were thinking something along those lines.