Receive Email Updates

* indicates required

Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Practice

Since my incredible experience in The Seminar in Denver last week a few people have asked about my daily practice. I thought it would be a good topic for a post, so here's what that currently looks like. Brief explanations of some of the terms I use are below the list. Further explanations of practices will be the topics of subsequent posts:
  1. I wake up around 6:30. I do 5 minutes of a practice called the Prayerful Breath and then 5-10 minutes of silent sitting meditation. I then write a to-do today list for the day and spend 10-15 minutes writing REs and journaling. In my silent meditation I typically find my prayer and intention for the day.
  2. I carry an RE pad with me all day. When I have thoughts, I write them down. I keep my to-do today list in that same pad so when I get things done I can cross them off.
  3. I meditate between 30 and 60 minutes daily. Usually I use a 45 minute playlist unless I'm up very late and need rest. Then I'll do 30 or listen to a talk before bed.
  4. During the course of my day I maintain an awareness of where I can take conversations deeper. Where I can talk about God, love, spirituality, connection, the illusion of separation, etc. If I haven't had a conversation like this with someone I don't know already I try to have one with Mary, or someone in my community of friends.
  5. To the best of my ability I situate myself in true care for everyone I meet.
  6. I write a letter to my spiritual teacher once a week.
  7. Once a month I get together with my spiritual teacher to discuss my movement. Sometimes this meeting is on the phone.
  8. Once a week I attend a longer meditation. If I can't make it to the Center I do an extended meditation (90 minutes or so) at home.
  9. I attend breakthrough meditation once a month, again, if I can't make it I do an extended meditation at home a few times.
  10. I attend the God's Love is for Everyone monthly meeting either by phone or in person.
  11. Sundays is my day of rest, and I don't do anything related to the program unless I need to release emotions, or I am supporting someone who's having a hard time. My phone is on and I receive txts and messages though I typically don't answer it.
  • The Prayerful Breath is a practice of focusing your mind in prayer that combines an awareness of the breath and a simple movement done with your hands.
  • Writing REs is a practice of capturing thoughts and actions on a pad and a system for organizing them so that these thoughts aren't bouncing around in my head and distracting me from whatever task is in front of me.
  • To Do Today lists are a way of looking at my time in a day, what I plan to do at what time, and what items from my to-dos I can accomplish reasonably in the course of that day.
  • I keep both of the above in a Field Notes pad which is with me all the time.
  • The God's Love is for Everyone Program is a program for Seminar graduates I participate in with people from The Center in San Francisco. I have a "coach" who I write to and supports me in my daily practice and the various challenges life presents.

I write this out in the hopes that it will help others find their own daily practice. It is simply what I do which supports my continued spiritual movement. It changes all the time. Some days I don't get to it all. Other days I need to do only one of the things over and over. And my meditations are always different. Sometimes it's a lot of crying. Others it's a dance and I'm focused on pulling on the love and light of God. Other times it's pure rage followed by calming and deep thinking. The most important thing I've learned is to stay open to what it needs to be today.

More on my experience in The Seminar when I have time to sit down and write it out.Comments are welcome. Hope this helps and/or inspires any of you.

No comments: